A quartet of quilts! Challenge yourself compositionally and learn four different ways to construct fused quilts: squares/rectangles, curvilinear design, cut-and-collage, and landscape. Using step-by-step directions with many creative options, you’ll make 4 quilts (about 16” x 20” or larger) using Sue’s fusible techniques. She will also cover fusible basics, working with non-traditional fabrics, quilting, blocking, and binding. By the end of this workshop experience, construction ideas will abound!
Born in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and raised in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Benner grew up in a family with an artistic businessman father, a creative sewing mother, and do-it-yourself projects were standard procedure.
While pursuing a BS in molecular biology (University of Wisconsin-Madison) and an MA in biomedical illustration (University of Texas-Southwestern), Benner transformed her vision of the microscopic universe into batiked quilts, soft sculpture, and paintings. These early efforts drew her to a new path, and by 1982 she was an artist working in her Deep Ellum studio in Dallas, Texas. Since 1989, Benner has worked out of her custom-built studio in the backyard of her family home.
Benner is a recognized innovator in her field, having developed new techniques in fused quilt construction to further the expression of her ideas. She is a well-known educator and lecturer who teaches workshops internationally in the areas of surface design, textile collage, fused quilt construction, and artistic inspiration.
In the past five years she has created commissioned work for BNSF Railway (Fort Worth, Texas), Green Bay Packers Collection (Lambeau Stadium, Green Bay, Wisconsin), and several works for Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minnesota). Exhibiting widely for thirty years, her work has been juried into Quilt National eight times. Sue’s artwork is in many private, corporate, and institutional collections including the National Quilt Museum and the International Quilt Study Center, the Museum of Geometric and MADI Art, the Neville Public Museum, and the National Quilt Museum.
Class size is limited to 12 students.
Visit Sue’s Website
Class Supply List
Level: Adventurous Beginner to Advanced
- Deposit due with registration: $250
- Workshop cost $1050 (add tax for meal portion = $5.50) (includes lunch Tuesday-Saturday, excludes lodging)
- Workshop starts at 9am Tuesday, August 10, 2021 and ends Saturday afternoon at 4pm
- On site lodging available for an additional fee:
- Lodging available Monday Night – Saturday Morning
- Meals provided with Lodging: Breakfast is served daily (noon meal provided with price of workshop)
- Triple Occupancy $395 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Double Occupancy $545 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Single Occupancy $985 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Add additional nights to your stay for $50 per night
- (No meals served when class is not in session)
- Sewing Machine Rental $100/per week (optional in this workshop)
If paying by mail, contact us to hold a place for one week until deposit is received.
Sue Benner Registration Form 2021