Explore the mystery and excitement of creating a pieced abstract quilt with little or no plan. Students will learn to start from the center and create a quilt top in a very organic way. We will discuss basic design and composition, color and value, quilting, and most importantly trusting your instincts. Sheila will demonstrate construction techniques for sewing curved seams and discuss some of the challenges you may run into with spontaneous design and piecing. This is a Master Class, but confident beginners are absolutely welcome. Wherever you are is where we will start from. Each student receives ample one-on-one time in this workshop.
After channeling her artistic muse to painting, jewelry making and architectural photography for many years, Sheila plunged into abstract quilt-making in 2010. Guided by no plan, no sketch and no agenda, but fed by intuition and inspired by nature’s palette, she speeds into journeys of revelation and surprise in her quilt studio. Her live intensity is apparent in the colors, lines and shapes of her improvisational textile works.
“Whether I’m painting, drawing or piecing a studio quilt, moving head first into the unknown fuels my creativity,” Sheila said. “I relish all the surprising discoveries along the way as the journey starts to reveal itself to me.”
Since embarking on her fiber art adventure, Sheila has won awards at major quilt shows, including: IQA World of Beauty in Houston, AQS Show in Paducah and Road to California. Her work has been exhibited in the United States, France, Italy, England, China and Japan.
Sheila is also a passionate teacher and has shared her process in workshops around the world. She says, “Another wonderful change quilting brought into my life was the opportunity to teach. It is a privilege for me to witness what my students accomplish in 5 days! I am honored to hold the space and guide them as they discover the freedom, joy, and for some, the slight discomfort that comes from not knowing the outcome of their creations”.
Class size is limited to 12 students.
Visit Sheila’s Website
Class Supply List
Level: Adventurous Beginner to Advanced Quilter
- Deposit due with registration: $250
- Workshop cost $1050 (add tax for meal portion = $5.50) (includes lunch Tuesday-Saturday, excludes lodging)
- Workshop starts at 9am Tuesday, June 14, 2022 and ends Saturday afternoon at 4pm
- On site lodging available for an additional fee:
- Lodging available Monday Night – Saturday Morning
- Meals provided with Lodging: Breakfast is served daily (noon meal provided with price of workshop)
- Triple Occupancy $395 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Double Occupancy $545 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Single Occupancy $985 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Add additional nights to your stay for $50 per night
- (No meals served when class is not in session)
- Sewing Machine Rental $100/per week
If paying by mail, contact us to hold a place for one week until deposit is received.
Sheila Frampton Cooper Registration Form 2022