Please note: We are currently requiring Proof of Vaccination for workshops
RIFFING ON TRADITION—Exploring Design Elements with Quilt Blocks
In this workshop, we combine the basic design elements of art with the traditional quilt block to create interesting, new, and dynamic quilt units. The workshop begins with a presentation of design elements—line, shape, pattern, composition, motion, and color. We will look at a variety of quilts from all traditions of quilt making to see how individual makers use design elements to create original quilt compositions. From there, students will begin to stitch their own quilt blocks based on design elements.
Maria Shell BIO
Maria is the recipient of a Sustainable Arts Foundation 2011 Winter Award, a Rasmuson Foundation Project Award and two Rasmuson Fellowships (2009, 2013, 2017). She has had several solo and small group shows including fiber at the Fitton Center for Creative Arts in Hamilton, Ohio, Right Lines & Circles at the Ormond Beach Memorial Art Museum and Gardens in Ormond Beach, Florida, Line + Shape at the Hello Stitch Studio in Berkeley, California, and The Pieced Canvas at the Visions Art Museum in San Diego, California. Her most recent solo exhibition is Off the Grid which will be on view at the Shelburne Art Museum in Shelburne, Vermont from May—October 2022. Her first book Improv Patchwork—Dynamic Quilts Made with Line & Shape was published in 2017. You can see more of Maria’s work on her website or learn more about her process by visiting her blog.
Class size is limited to 12 students.
Visit Maria’s Website
Visit Maria’s Blog
Level: Adventurous Beginner to Advanced Quilter
- Deposit due with registration: $250
- Workshop cost $1195 (add tax for meal portion = $6.88) (includes lunch Tuesday-Saturday, excludes lodging)
- Workshop starts at 9am Tuesday, May 2nd, 2023 and ends Saturday afternoon at 4pm
- On site lodging available for an additional fee:
- Lodging available Monday Night – Saturday Morning
- Meals provided with Lodging: Breakfast is served daily (noon meal provided with price of workshop). If Covid is still a concern in 2023 we will add evening meals for an additional charge
- Triple Occupancy $435 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Double Occupancy $585 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Single Occupancy $1025 (lodging plus 5 meals) Please book a single room if you snore
- Add additional nights to your stay for $75 per night
- (No meals served when class is not in session)
- Sewing Machine Rental $100/per week
If paying by mail, please register on our website and choose check payment. Check payments must be received 7 business days after registration.