Please note: We are currently requiring Proof of Vaccination for workshops
Ink, Print, Repeat: Explorations in textile pattern design using acrylic inks
Have you always wanted to explore surface design using dyes, but have hesitated because you don’t have a space to safely work with dyes or feel intimidated by the process, or you’re concerned about the environmental impact because of water restrictions in your area? Well, acrylic inks are the perfect alternative, and the best part is the fabric is ready to use as soon as it’s dry!
Learn how surprisingly easy (and affordable) it is to make fiber-friendly acrylic inks using dispersed pigments and a few simple ingredients from Prochem. These DIY acrylic inks and textile paints will leave your fabric with a soft hand and give you exactly the colors you want.
In this 5 day workshop, learn the basics of color theory while making and mixing inks and learn how to avoid mud, unless that’s your thing and then Judy can teach you how to create a full spectrum of beautiful earthy colors!
Learn how to choose and combine colors when printing for maximum visual impact. Explore a multitude of ways to create richly textured “base” fabrics by applying acrylics inks to fabric with different types of brush-strokes, sponges, altering ink and water ratios, adding salt, mono-printing, and scrunching, as well as pleating, stitching, clamping and pole wrapping fabric with a variety of shibori techniques.
Learn to make foam stamps, hand-carved rubber stamps; and how to successfully print with foam, rubber and wood stamps on fabric. Master screen printing with thermofax screens, then apply pattern design principles using various types of repeats to print on your textured “base” fabrics.
As anyone who’s taken classes with Judy before knows, it’ll be a blast of inspiration, innovation, information and fun.
Class size is limited to 12 students.
Visit Judy’s Website
Level: Adventurous Beginner to Advanced
- Deposit due with registration: $250
- Workshop cost $950 (add tax for meal portion = $6.88) (includes lunch Tuesday-Saturday, excludes lodging)
- Workshop starts at 9am Tuesday, June 13, 2023 and ends Saturday afternoon at 4pm
- On site lodging available for an additional fee:
- Lodging available Monday Night – Saturday Morning
- Meals provided with Lodging: Breakfast is served daily (noon meal provided with price of workshop). If Covid is still a concern in 2023 we will add evening meals for an additional charge.
- Triple Occupancy $435 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Double Occupancy $585 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Single Occupancy $1025 (lodging plus 5 meals) Please book a single room if you snore
- Add additional nights to your stay for $75 per night
- (No meals served when class is not in session)
- Sewing Machine Rental $100/per week
If paying by mail, please register on our website and choose check payment. Check payments must be received 7 business days after registration.