For anyone working in two dimensions the fundamental elements of design are always in play. Artists and designers rely upon line, shape, interval, balance, relative scale, pattern and the development of visual space to communicate their vision. This workshop is an enriched version of the classic two-dimensional design curriculum that has been a foundational study for artists and designers since its introduction at the Bauhaus in the 1920’s.
In Fundamentals of Design and Composition you will make a number of small, focused studies using creative strategies to explore the elements of design with cut paper collage. Throughout the workshop, you will organize your studies and notes into a book/portfolio that serves as both a record of your exploration and a useful design reference for your own studio practice. Classroom work will be augmented by slide presentations and discussion. Recommended for textile artists, designers and painters.
David is a painter and collagist who, over the course of a long career, has held full-time teaching positions at Indiana University, Skidmore College, and The Rhode Island School of Design. He is currently a professor at Adelphi University where he teaches courses in design, color theory, collage, and painting. Over the past 12 years he has conducted design and color workshops at Crow Barn, QBL, QSDS and Anderson Ranch Art Center and other locations in the US and UK. He is the author of a Color: A Workshop for Artists and Designer, which has been translated into six languages and is used in art and design programs internationally.
Class size is limited to 12 students.
Visit David’s Website
Level: Adventurous Beginner to Advanced
- Deposit due with registration: $250
- Workshop cost $995 (add tax for meal portion = $5.50) (includes lunch Tuesday-Saturday, excludes lodging)
- Workshop starts at 9am Tuesday, June 15, 2021 and ends Saturday afternoon at 4pm
- On site lodging available for an additional fee:
- Lodging available Monday Night – Saturday Morning
- Meals provided with Lodging: Breakfast is served daily (noon meal provided with price of workshop)
- Triple Occupancy $395 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Double Occupancy $545 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Single Occupancy $985 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Add additional nights to your stay for $50 per night
- (No meals served when class is not in session)
If paying by mail, contact us to hold a place for one week until deposit is received.
David Hornung Registration Form 2021