For several years Betty has been exploring the use of various non woven materials in her fiber art. They have been a wonderful addition to traditional fabrics, extending the range of expression that can be achieved.
The class will include samples of different types of non woven materials, ways to produce images with them, and methods to incorporate them to extend the range of expression that can be achieved with traditional fabrics.
In addition, Betty has developed new ways of painting fabrics. Students can make samples using her methods and materials, and combine them with the non wovens as desired.
She will bring her electric cutting machine and demonstrate its use with both the non wovens and vinyl. Instruction on its use and design features will be included.
The aim of the class is to give each student many exciting ideas to experiment with.
After graduating from the Rhode Island School of Design with a ceramics major, Betty Busby founded a custom ceramic tile manufacturing firm in Los Angeles. After nearly 20 years of running the firm, she sold the business in 1994 (it is still in operation to this day).
Upon relocating to New Mexico, she changed the focus of her art work to fiber, taking it full time in 2004. Her manufacturing background has lead to constant experimentation with new materials and techniques that fuel her work. The classic fractal structures of the sub microscopic world are a constant inspiration, as are natural processes, such as oxidation, replication and growth.
Materials fee $30
Class size is limited to 12 students.
Visit Betty’s Website
Class Supply List
Level: Adventurous Beginner to Advanced
- Deposit due with registration: $250
- Workshop cost $960 (add tax for meal portion = $5.50) (includes lunch Tuesday-Saturday, excludes lodging)
- Workshop starts at 9am Tuesday, May 3rd, 2022 and ends Saturday afternoon at 4pm
- On site lodging available for an additional fee:
- Lodging available Monday Night – Saturday Morning
- Meals provided with Lodging: Breakfast is served daily (noon meal provided with price of workshop)
- Triple Occupancy $420 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Double Occupancy $570 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Single Occupancy $1010 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Add additional nights to your stay for $50 per night
- (No meals served when class is not in session)
If paying by mail, contact us to hold a place for one week until deposit is received.