Lisa Binkley: Dots and Dashes – Language & Meaning in Hand Stitching
This 5 day workshop will focus on contemporary bead embroidery, contemporary hand stitching, repurposed fabrics and the spirit of boro mending
Dots, dashes, lines, and other simple shapes have been used throughout history from ancient symbolic languages like Cuneiform through Morse code and beyond to communicate ideas and information. Hand stitching with beads and embroidery thread is a wonderful, meditative, expressive way to create textured and colored dots, dashes, lines, and shapes that can express their maker’s feelings and ideas.
This 5 day workshop students will focus on contemporary bead embroidery, contemporary hand stitching, repurposed fabrics and the spirit of boro mending. Students will come to class with a small, unembellished art quilt or fiber art panel that they would like to take to a new level through the addition of hand embroidery with beads and thread.
Each day contains a combination of bead embroidery and thread embroidery demonstrations, viewing examples of technique applications, group discussion, and individual sketch and stitch explorations of ways to develop one’s own visual vocabulary using the techniques introduced in class. Time will also be dedicated to group discussion of works in progress and individual feedback by the teacher that is both supportive and idea-stimulating.
Skill Level: Adventurous Beginner to Advanced
Visit Lisa Binkley’s Website
- Deposit due with registration: $250
- Workshop Fee $865 (includes lunch Tuesday-Saturday, excludes lodging)
- Supply Fee TBD
- Class starts at 9am daily and ends at 4pm on the last day of the workshop
- On site lodging available for an additional fee:
- Lodging September 21-26, 2020: Monday Night – Saturday Morning:
- Meals served: Breakfast is served daily
- Evening meals will be on your own
- Triple Occupancy $390 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Double Occupancy $545 (lodging plus 5 meals
- Single Occupancy $985 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Add additional nights to your stay for $50 per night
- (No meals served when class is not in session)
Prefer to register by mail? Be sure to contact us to reserve your place, then fill out the registration form below and return with your payment in full within the week.
Lisa Binkley Registration Form 2020