Lisa Binkley: Theme & Variations in Hand Stitching
Artistic themes can be technical and conceptual. They can be found in the consistent use of particular techniques, shapes, images, color schemes, or concepts. Hand stitching lends itself beautifully to both technical and conceptual theme development. Bead and thread embroidery can be used to boldly define solid shapes, subtly suggest translucent shapes, and everything in between. Hand stitching with beads and thread can be used to create powerful line work, visual movement, and expressive, engaging textures. It can also be used to highlight both positive and negative space in works of art.
In this 5 day workshop students explore ways to develop personal themes and variations on those themes in order to create a small series of related mini works in fiber art (art quilts, embroideries, etc.) each of which features hand embroidery with beads and threads. Each day will be a combination of bead embroidery and thread embroidery technique demonstrations, viewing examples of technique applications, group discussion, and individual sketch and stitch explorations of ways to use and build on the techniques introduced. Time will also be dedicated to group discussion of works in progress and individual feedback by the teacher that is both supportive and idea-stimulating.
Skill Level: Adventurous Beginner to Advanced
Visit Lisa Binkley’s Website
- Deposit due with registration: $250
- Workshop Fee $865 (includes lunch Tuesday-Saturday, excludes lodging)
- Supply Fee TBD
- Class starts at 9am daily and ends at 4pm on the last day of the workshop
- On site lodging available for an additional fee:
- Lodging September 21-26, 2020: Monday Night – Saturday Morning:
- Meals served: Breakfast is served daily
- Evening meals will be on your own
- Triple Occupancy $390 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Double Occupancy $545 (lodging plus 5 meals
- Single Occupancy $985 (lodging plus 5 meals)
- Add additional nights to your stay for $50 per night
- (No meals served when class is not in session)
Prefer to register by mail? Be sure to contact us to reserve your place, then fill out the registration form below and return with your payment in full within the week.
Lisa Binkley Registration Form 2020